Fancy an aromatic and refreshing cocktail? This delicious Gin Basil Smash makes for an impressive-looking but easy cocktail with all the flavour of the Italian herb.
There is nothing better than a refreshing cocktail on a hot summer day. You feel me? And this Gin Basil Smash is the perfect drink to serve in Summer and beyond.
Jump to recipe
What is a smash cocktail?
A smash cocktail is a mixture of spirits, sweetener and usually mint. Additionally, a smash cocktail contains a fruity component like lemon and is served over ice.
Since the smash cocktail is seasonally flexible, it is perfect for experimenting. Try different fruits and herbs with the liquor of your choice. The result? An easy cocktail that reaps all the benefits of seasonal produce while being refreshing and delicious. Winner!
Why you'll love this recipe
- made of only 4 ingredients
- impressive-looking but easy to make
- ready in 5 minutes
- Sweet basil – Use the whole basil stems as the stems contain a lot of flavour too, which will be released while muddling.
- Gin – I used a floral and sweet gin variety because it goes so well with the basil and lemon.
- Lemon – Since the lemon is used with the skin, opt for organic lemons and wash them under hot water before using them.
- Agave syrup – Leave the sweetener out for a completely sugar-free cocktail.
- Sparkling water – Adjust the amount of sparkling water depending on how intense in flavour you want the cocktail to be.
See recipe card for quantities.
Wash the basil and quarter the lemons. Place the sprigs of basil in the cocktail shaker.
Add the lemon quarters and agave syrup. Muddle until well combined and the juices of the lemon and basil release.
Measure and pour your preferred gin into the cocktail shaker.
Add 2-4 ice cubes and shake until the shaker feels cold.
- cocktail shaker with strainer
Tips and substitutions
Buy organic lemons when muddling, as the skin is still on. Also, wash them with hot water before cutting and using them.
It is up to you how much sparkling water you fill this gin basil smash with, according to how intense in flavour you want it to be.
Want to make this cocktail virgin? Substitute gin with its non-alcoholic counterpart. Alternatively, you can leave the spirit out altogether and fill the drink with more sparkling water.
Of course. Try this drink with Thai basil, holy basil or other herbs for a delicious twist.
Use the thick end of a cooking spoon to muddle the ingredients in the cocktail shaker.
A good cocktail shaker substitute is a sealable jar. Muddle the ingredients in a sealable jar and shake with ice until well combined.
Gin Basil Smash
- cocktail shaker with strainer
- 8 sprigs sweet basil
- 1 lemon
- 8 cl gin ( 2 ½ ounces)
- 2 teaspoon agave syrup
- sparkling water
- Wash the basil and quarter the lemons.
- Place the sprigs of basil, lemon quarters and agave syrup in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until well combined and the juices of the lemon and basil release.
- Add gin and 2-4 ice cubes to the cocktail shaker and shake until the shaker feels cold.
- Pour over ice into two tumbler glasses and fill with sparkling water.
- Garnish with a sprig of basil and serve.
- It is up to you how much sparkling water you fill this gin basil smash with, according to how intense in flavour you want it to be.
- Want to make this cocktail virgin? Substitute gin with its non-alcoholic counterpart. Alternatively, you can leave the spirit out altogether and fill the drink with more sparkling water.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with online tools. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All the nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice. Since the nutritional value can vary depending on the products used, it is recommended to calculate it based on the actual type of ingredients used.