Drop it like it’s hot! These fresh and bright lemon drop shots combine aromatic Cointreau, fresh lemon juice and honey simple syrup to create a balanced citrus cocktail, sure to rock your boat.
“Oh honey, you are my new main squeeze”, I thought when sipping on this glorious combination. A heavy citrus flavour rounded out by the sweetness of the honey makes this a balanced combo for all citrus lovers. This lemon drop shot is a no-fuss cocktail you can whip up anytime with only three ingredients.
All it takes to make this tangy shots are three simpel ingredients. Here is what you need:
- Lemon: The heart of this drink is freshly squeezed lemon juice. Use ripe lemons to get the best taste.
- Cointreau: The french liqueur is not only a mainstay in classic cocktails like margarita and cosmopolitan. I used it in this drink to add a subtle orange note which elevates the overall citrus flavour.
- Honey Simple Syrup: The easy-made syrup is a frequent ingredient in my wholesome recipes. I used it to balance the sourness of the lemons and add the distinctive and beloved honey flavour. When turned into simple syrup, the golden nectar becomes more fluid and easier to mix into the drink.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make honey simple syrup
Honey would be hard to combine in the cocktail because of its thick consistency. So I made a simple syrup to get the right texture.
Combine the honey with water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it boils up slightly.
Let cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
If you have leftover honey simple syrup, transfer it into an airtight jar or container and store it in the fridge for up to one week. Use it for your sweet breakfast or other drinks too.
I haven’t personally tried it, but I think this drink would also work with fresh grapefruit, as it has the same tanginess as lemons and goes well with the honey.
I wouldn’t recommend using store-bought juice. It has a different, often artificial taste which would not taste good in the drink.
You can prepare the honey simple syrup, and lemon juice ahead of time. Keep in airtight jars and store it in the fridge until needed. The honey simple syrup will keep for up to one week, while the lemon juice will keep for 2-3 days.
Lemon Drop Shots
- Cocktail Shaker
- 50 ml Cointreau (2 oz)
- 2-3 lemons (100 ml / 4 oz)
- 4 tablespoon honey simple syrup (see recipe notes)
- Prepare the honey simple syrup and let it cool to room temperature (see recipe notes). Squeeze the lemons and set the lemon juice aside.
- Combine Cointreau, lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of the honey simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with some ice cubes. Shake vigorously for a couple of seconds.
- Strain into two small glasses over ice. Garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary if you like and serve.
- Combine the honey with water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it boils up slightly.
- Let cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- If you have leftover honey simple syrup, transfer it into an airtight jar or container and store it in the fridge for up to one week. Use it for your sweet breakfast or other drinks too.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.