Savoury and nourishing! This Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup is a hearty bowl of vitamins, perfect on cold days. The best part? It is ready in 25 minutes and totally dairy-free.
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
When the temperatures drop, I always gravitate towards comforting soups, stews or curries to satisfy my cravings. Carrot, Potato, Cauliflower and of course, Broccoli are all classic soup veggies in my kitchen. You can make a deliciously creamy soup from almost every vegetable, and I make good use of it in the colder seasons. I take whatever vegetable I have in the fridge and turn it into a comforting bowl in no time. Like I did with this plant-based broccoli soup which is ready in under half an hour with no heavy cream needed.
Creamy soup without heavy cream?
You might think that an ultra-creamy soup equals lots of calorie-loaded heavy cream or its plant-based counterpart. But think again, because this Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup does without a drop of heavy cream, double cream, or anything similar. How so?
After cooking hundreds of soups throughout my life, I found a healthy trick to make every vegetable soup deliciously creamy without the heavy addition. Using the ideal ratio of vegetables and vegetable stock basically does the same. The result: A creamy texture and rich taste you will love in your balanced meal plan. Scroll down to get some tips for making this soup and the recipe.
Tips for making this rich broccoli soup
- Don't have homemade vegetable stock? Buy it at the grocery store or use a stock cube. I use them frequently but make sure to buy organic to avoid weird additives.
- There are two ways to purée this soup. You can either blend the broccoli soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender or transfer it to a blender. Cool the soup a bit before blending it to avoid damage to the appliance.
- This broccoli soup is perfect for meal prep because it stores well. Keep in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze up to 2 months.
More dreamy creamy soup recipes
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- 1 head broccoli (300g/3 cups cut in florets)
- 1 onion (medium)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock (2 ¼ cups)
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash broccoli and pat dry. Remove the stem and cut it into florets. Peel onion and garlic and roughly chop.
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and roast for a minute, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and broccoli florets. Stir and roast for a couple of seconds. Now season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour in vegetable stock, bring to a boil and let simmer on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender. Alternatively, let cool a little and transfer into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with fresh herbs, microgreens, and nourishing seeds.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.