Savoury and nourishing! This creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup is a hearty bowl of vitamins, perfect on cold days. The best part? The delicious soup is ready in 25 minutes and dairy-free.
When the temperatures drop, I always gravitate towards comforting soups, stews, and curries to satisfy my cravings. Since I love vegetable soups, I mostly meal-prepare a big pot of soup on the weekend for a quick and nourishing lunch during the week.
You can make a deliciously creamy soup from almost every vegetable, and I make good use of it in the colder seasons. I take whatever vegetables are in season and turn them into a comforting bowl in no time. Like I did with this vegan broccoli soup which is ready in under half an hour. The best part? This ultra-creamy soup does without adding any cream and only needs 5 ingredients. Winner!
Jump to recipe
Why you'll love this recipe
- delicious use of seasonal produce
- super creamy
- vegan and gluten-free
- ready in 25 minutes
- ideal for meal-prep
- Broccoli – Thoroughly wash and dry the broccoli before using.
- Onion and garlic – The savoury ingredients add so much depth of flavour to the broccoli soup.
- Olive oil – The olive oil plays well with the onion and garlic aroma when roasting them.
- Vegetable stock – Use homemade or store-bought vegetable stock.
- Nutmeg – I always use dried whole nutmeg and grate it when using. It makes such a difference in flavour.
- Salt and Pepper – Season according to taste.
Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Transfer the diced onions and sauté for a minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the broccoli florets and garlic and stir. Grate nutmeg into the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and sear for another minute.
Pour in the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the broccoli florets are tender.
Remove the pot from the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes, transfer it into a blender and blend until smooth.
Tips and substitutions
Top it off
I love to top this vegan broccoli soup with a splash of olive oil, herbs and micro greens for an additional flavour boost. Add some crunch to the creamy soup with quinoa pops, seeds or whole-wheat croutons.
A nourishing and filling meal
Serve the soup with bread or toast for a fulfilling meal.
Double the ingredients and prepare a big pot of this soup. Portion the soup in airtight containers and have a nourishing lunch or dinner ready in seconds when warming it.
If you don’t have fresh broccoli on hand, use frozen broccoli. Thaw the broccoli in the fridge first, then get rid of excess water and use it like fresh broccoli in this recipe.
Yes, change it up by incorporating cauliflower, carrots, celery root and more. Use vegetables with a similar texture to ensure they are not overcooked or not cooked enough with the cooking time stated in the recipe.
You can blend the broccoli soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender.
If you use an immersion blender to blend the soup, remove the pot from the heat first. Then, stick the immersion blender in and carefully blend the soup.
Have a blender? Let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Then transfer it to the blender, secure the lid and blend until smooth. Don’t pour the hot soup directly from the stove into the blender. Too hot fluids can damage the appliance.
Store the soup in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Yes! Portion it in airtight freezer-friendly containers and freeze for up to 3 months to have the best taste. When eating, let the soup thaw in the refrigerator and reheat it on the stove or reheat the frozen soup in the microwave.
More vegan soup recipes
Vegan Broccoli Soup
- immersion blender or blender
- 1 head broccoli (300g / 3 cups cut in florets)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 ml vegetable stock (2 ¼ cups)
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the broccoli head and pat it dry. Then, remove the thick stem and rip the broccoli into florets with your fingers. Peel the onion and garlic and dice.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Transfer the diced onions and sauté for a minute, stirring occasionally. Add the broccoli florets and garlic and stir. Grate nutmeg into the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and sear for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the broccoli florets are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Alternatively, let the soup cool for 10 to 15 minutes, transfer it into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Top the soup with a splash of olive oil, fresh herbs and nourishing seeds if you like and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.