Crispy and flavourful! These homemade pita chips are healthy, flavourful and ready in 15 minutes. They are perfect served as an impressive-looking but easy-to-prepare appetizer or snack with a delicious dip.
Jump to recipe
A Crunchy and balanced snack
What to do if you crave a crunchy snack but nothing to munch on at home? You make your own delicious snack. When I was craving a savoury snack while watching my favourite show recently, I looked around my kitchen to see what would make for a crunchy snack. Then I saw these whole-wheat pita pockets lying around, and the idea to make homemade pita chips was born.
Baking pita chips is easier than you think. The crunchy snack is ready in 15 minutes and customizable to your liking. Raid your herb and spices cabinet to make this your personal flavour favourite. Moreover, it is such a rewarding feeling to make your own food. You are proud of creating something delicious and have control over the ingredients.
Are pita chips healthy?
A lot of people think that pita chips are healthier than regular chips. But that’s not always the case. Especially when you buy them at the store. They also come with simple carbs, a lot of fat from frying and are mostly high in sodium. When making your own pita chips, you can make them healthier but equally delicious.
Using whole-wheat pitas to bake pita chips adds complex carbs to the snack. Moreover, baking them instead of frying them reduces the amount of fat. One serving of pita chips (8 pita chips) clocks in at just 100 calories.
These homemade pita chips are taken to the next level with some seasoning. Apply the seasoning after brushing the pita chips with olive oil and before baking. Dried herbs and spices are perfect sprinkled over the pita chips. Mix and match them as you wish to create your own favourite flavour combination.
Her are some seasoning ideas I love:
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- BBQ seasoning
- Dried herbs (e.g. rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil)
- Sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Curry & turmeric
- Onion & garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Pita bread – I use the whole-wheat pita pockets and slice them to have two thin layers out of one. Also, using the whole-wheat variety adds some complex carbs to the chips. But you can also use plain pita bread if you like.
- Olive oil – The olive oil makes for crispy and flavourful pita chips and helps the seasoning stick to them. Use good quality olive oil because it makes all the difference in flavour.
- Seasoning of choice – Go with what dried herbs and spices you like. I used Everything Bagel Seasoning because I love the combination of sesame, poppyseeds, garlic, onion, and sea salt. You can also use ready-made seasoning or mix dried herbs and ground spices to create your favourite seasoning.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Prepare the oven: Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the pita bread: Slice two pita bread pockets into four thin rounds. (If using individual pita bread, you can skip this step.) Then cut each one into 8 triangles and place them on the baking sheet next to each other. Make sure they don’t overlap.
- Season with herbs and spices: Brush each triangle with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle them with the seasoning of your choice.
- Bake in the oven: When the oven is hot, bake the pita chips for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through, until slightly browned.
When buying regular or whole-wheat pita bread, it most likely isn’t gluten-free. Because it is made from flour which contains gluten. If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, opt for the gluten-free option when buying it.
If you want to store the pita chips, let them cool first and keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. This way, they will last up to a week but may lose some crispiness.
To ensure the pita chips turn out ultra-crispy, brush them with olive oil on both sides. Also, turn them halfway through when baking. After removing them from the oven and letting them cool, you’ll have perfectly crunchy chips.
What to serve with homemade pita chips?
Pita chips are a delicious appetizer served with a creamy dip. Here are some balanced pairing ideas to snack on:
- creamy harissa hummus
- white bean spread
- charcuterie board
- creamy soups (use them as croutons)
- as a crunchy side to salad
Homemade Pita Chips
- 2 (whole wheat) pita bread pockets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of choice (I used Everything Bagel Seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the pita pockets in half so you have four thin rounds. If using individual pitas, you can skip this step. Then cut each round into 8 triangles and place them on the baking sheet next to each other. Making sure they don’t overlap.
- Brush each triangle with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle them with the seasoning of your choice.
- Bake the pita chips in the oven for 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through, until slightly browned.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.