In the mood for a comforting soup? This vegan and dairy-free Sweet Potato Celery Root Soup is the delicious winter vegetable combination you need on cold days. Serve with a splash of plant-based heavy cream and fresh parsley for the ultimate flavour boost.
Sweet Potato Celery Root Soup
One of my favourite dishes is a big warming bowl of soup. When I was younger, I was often standing with my soup bowl ready in the kitchen to get the first ladle of liquid goodness. My grandma and mom always whipped up delicious soups in the colder season. Today you would say, their soup game was strong, and thankfully, they passed it on to me.
In winter, I basically live off of soup, and I love turning all the nutritious winter vegetables into comforting bowls that are satisfying and nourishing. Like this Sweet Potato Celery Root Soup. The sweet potato pairs well with the earthy and spicy celery root, making them a perfect combination. The best part? This ultra-creamy soup is vegan (Hello Veganuary!), gluten-free and dairy-free. Sounds like a winner in my books. Scroll down for some tips for preparing this soup and get the recipe.
Tips for making this recipe
- I use a potato peeler to get rid of the sweet potato and celery root skin. It is an easy and quick way to peel it and always works like a charm.
- Dice the sweet potato and celery root in about 2 cm (0.8 inches cubes. Cutting it bigger will extend the cooking time, and we want to keep it as time-efficient as possible here.
- You can either blend the soup with an immersion blender directly in the pot or transfer it to a blender. If using a stand-alone blender, let the soup cool a little bit to avoid damage to the appliance.
- Creamy doesn’t always mean heavy cream or any other high-calorie creamer. I always look at the vegetable to water ratio when making a vegetable soup. If you stick to that ratio, the soup will be ultra-creamy and without the addition of calorie-loaded creamers.
- This creamy soup is perfect for meal-prepping. You can make a big batch on the weekend and have a nourishing lunch or dinner on hand when the hunger strikes. Keep the soup in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
In the mood for soup?
Try these quick and nourishing recipes, perfect to whip up on cold days:
Sweet Potato Celery Root Soup
- 2 sweet potatoes (600g / 1.87lb)
- ¼ celery root (100g / 0.22 lb)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 800 ml vegetable stock (27 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- (vegan) heavy cream
- fresh parsley
- Peel the onion and garlic and roughly chop. Peel and dice the sweet potato and celery root in about 2cm (0,8 inches) cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a big pot on medium heat. Add onions and roast for about a minute until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add sweet potato, celery root and garlic and roast for another minute, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and nutmeg.
- Pour in vegetable stock and add the bay leaf. Let cook on low to medium heat for about 25 to 30 minutes until sweet potato and celery root are tender.
- Remove pot from heat and blend soup with an immersion blender until creamy.
- Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.