Elevate your mornings with this delicious vegetarian breakfast bread. Loaded with creamy hummus, nourishing greens and an extra dose of protein, this delicious treat will fuel you for the day.
A flavourful start into the day
When I think about weekend breakfasts, eggs are always on my mind. So my go-to meals for breakfast and brunch usually include some eggs. They are not only a healthy source of protein but also so delicious and versatile.
The last eggcellent meal that always comes back into my mind is a breakfast treat I enjoyed at Joma restaurant in Viennas 1st district. They serve a breakfast bread that this recipe is inspired by and I wanted to create my own version of this delicious treat to serve at home.
This quick breakfast bread is loaded with a variety of nutrient-dense toppings that make a flavourful combo you need to try. As a base layer, I used Hummus to incorporate some Middle Eastern flavour and creaminess. The easy marinated spinach adds some fresh veggies into the mix which act as a second layer. The fried egg round out this wholesome treat, which is also great for lunch or dinner.
Tips for making this breakfast bread
Follow these few tips to make this Spinach, Hummus and Egg Breakfast Bread as delicious as it gets:
- Toast the bread and prepare the toasted sesame seeds first. Then follow up with the marinated spinach and fried egg, before you put it all together.
- Spread a generous amount of hummus on the bread which pairs so well with the crunchiness when toasted.
- You can also top it off with a cooked or poached egg and prepare it ahead to use for this recipe.
Other breakfast recipes to try
Craving more balanced breakfast options? Try these nourishing ideas to elevate your morning meals.
Spinach, Hummus and Egg Breakfast Bread
- 2 slices whole wheat or rye bread
- 2 eggs
- 30 g spinach (½ cup) chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- sesame seeds toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster and roast the sesame seeds over low heat in a pan for 1-2minutes.
- Chop spinach and scallion, mix in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs in a pan and fry with 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Assembly: Spread hummus all over the bread. Layer marinated spinach and fried egg on top. Sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Best served immediately.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.