This easy and sweet breakfast treat went viral on TikTok for a good reason because it is creamy, crunchy, and so customisable. So, I made my own nourishing version, and this Healthy TikTok Yoghurt Custard Toast is a winner. Get creative with the toppings when making this sweet but nourishing breakfast treat to keep it exciting.
Healthy TikTok Yoghurt Custard Toast
I might not be on TikTok, but I sure don’t get around some viral content produced on this platform. At least when this content involves delicious food. And the TikTok community comes up with some pretty interesting recipes, food hacks and more. Although some of them are not worth trying or simply weird, there are some food trends on TikTok I can totally get behind.
Like this yoghurt on toast baked in the oven recipe going viral on TikTok and catching a lot of attention outside the platform. The delicious breakfast treat tastes like a mix between a cheesecake, fruit cake and a crunchy cookie. Need I say more?
Naturally, I had to make my own version of this sweet toast made in the oven. Equally delicious but fitting for a healthy lifestyle. Did I deliver? Let me know in the comments after trying this yoghurt french toast variation.
What is custard?
Custard is a term most known in England. It describes a mixture of eggs, milk, and sugar cooked into a sauce or cream and eaten plain or incorporated into other desserts.
Exactly the mixture you would use to make the classic french toast. When making french toast, the toast is dunked into the custard and then roasted in butter or oil.
This Healthy TikTok Yoghurt Custard Toast uses the same principle but differently. While the mixture for french toast contains milk, eggs and a sweetener, this version uses yoghurt instead. Also, when making french toast, you dunk the bread into the mixture. With yoghurt custard toast, the custard is poured onto the toast and sits on top like a spread.
Another distinction? While you would roast french toast in a pan with butter, you bake yoghurt custard toast in the oven.
Is Yoghurt Custard Toast healthy?
Yoghurt custard toast can be a heavy breakfast filled with simple carbs. The custard used for the sweet treat consists of eggs, yoghurt, and a good amount of sugar. Because I liked the idea of this breakfast recipe so much, I wanted to create a healthier but equally indulgent version of it.
For the custard, I used a mix of eggs, yoghurt, and a bit of maple syrup to give it a touch of sweetness but keep it more nourishing. I also added a splash of vanilla to make it even more flavourful.
Moreover, I used whole-wheat toast to get more complex carbs, rather than only having simple carbs when using regular toast.
Finally, I didn’t bake the fruit with the toast like in the viral TikTok custard toast videos but used them raw as a topping to keep all the nutrients. Healthy toppings like cinnamon, cacao nibs, and nut butter add more deliciousness and texture.
How to make this Healthy TikTok Yoghurt Custard Toast
Press down the centre of the toast with the back of a spoon to create an indentation.
Mix the eggs with yoghurt, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
Bake in the oven
Bake toast with custard in the oven for about 12-15 minutes until golden.
Top the yoghurt custard toast with sliced fruit, spices, nut butter and other healthy toppings.
Ingredients for this Healthy Custard Yoghurt Toast
- Toast – I opted for a whole-wheat toast to add some complex carbs into this sweet breakfast.
- Eggs – Use organic and fresh eggs to make the best custard.
- Yoghurt – I used a regular full-fat yoghurt here. Greek yoghurt works great too.
- Vanilla extract – I rarely make a sweet treat without using vanilla extract. The flavour is just unbeatable and perfect for this sweet toast.
- Toppings – The possibilities are endless for what you put on your toast. Fruits, nut butter, cinnamon, cardamom, cacao nibs, coconut chips and even granola are great toppings.
Tips for making this recipe
- Thoroughly press down the centre of the toasts with the back of a spoon. It creates a depressant that holds the custard while baking.
- I used full-fat yoghurt to make the custard to get a creamy and flavourful result. You can also use greek yoghurt, which comes with healthy fats too.
- This recipe is deliciously customisable. Use any healthy topping you want to make it taste different every time. Fruits like bananas, berries, stone fruits and much more are great additions. Almond, cashew, peanut and hazelnut butter add a nutty flavour and some healthy fats. A dash of cinnamon or other spices like cardamom is the perfect finish for this sweet but balanced breakfast treat.
Other sweet and nourishing breakfast recipes
Healthy TikTok Yoghurt Custard Toast
- 4 whole-wheat bread slices q
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoon greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- sliced banana
- peanut butter
- ground cinnamon
- cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To prepare the custard, whisk eggs, yoghurt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a bowl. Slice fruit of choice and set aside.
- Take four slices of toast and press down the centre with the back of a spoon to create a depressant.
- Pour the custard into the depressants and bake the toasts in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Top with fruit of choice, nut butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with online tools. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All the nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice. Since the nutritional value can vary depending on the products used, it is recommended to calculate it based on the actual type of ingredients used.