Spicy and oh so flavourful! This North African-Style Beef Chili is a delicious twist on the classic chili con carne. Ready in 35 minutes, it is the perfect hearty treat to serve a crowd.
North African-Style Beef Chili
When it is freezing, like in Vienna right now, I like to opt for soups and stews to warm my bones and cosy up. The right time to jump into the kitchen and cook up a big pot of stew to satisfy my savoury cravings while still being balanced.
A few years ago, I started experimenting with North African spices to change it up in the kitchen. Every time, I'm stunned by how spices like harissa, cardamom and ras el hanout can elevate the simplest dishes and create a journey to different places in your mouth. I especially love the spice mix ras el hanout, originating from Maghreb. Its combination of spicy and fruity flavour goes so well with meat. Born was this North African-Style beef chili. Made with minced beef, chickpeas, peppers and lots of ras el hanout, it is a welcome and delicious twist to the traditional dish. The best part? I kept it simple for this recipe, so you only need 10 ingredients from which you at least have half of them at home already.
Serve in tortilla wraps, with naan or bread and top with some fresh parsley and crunchy pomegranate seeds for extra flavour.
Tips for making this beef chili recipe
- Use lean beef in this recipe to keep this dish balanced.
- Roast the beef first until crumbly and browned. Then add the other ingredients and roast again to get the most flavourful result when adding the liquids.
- This hearty dish is perfect for meal prep. Make a big batch on the weekend and eat during the week for lunch and dinner. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More hearty soups and stews
North African-Style Beef Chili
- 500 g ground beef (1 lb)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 g chickpeas (1 cup) can, pre-cooked
- 2 red bell peppers
- 400 g canned tomatoes (14 oz)
- 200 ml beef stock (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon ras el hanout
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes or 1 fresh chili
- salt to taste
- Roughly chop bell peppers. Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Drain chickpeas and run under cold water until water runs clear.
- Heat olive oil on high heat in a pot. Add minced beef and roast for about 5 minutes until crumbly and browned.
- Add onion, bell peppers, chickpeas and garlic, reduce heat to medium and roast for a about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with ras el hanout, chili flakes and salt.
- Add the canned tomatoes and beef stock. Let it cook on low to medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with parsley and pomegranate seeds if you like and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.