These Grain-Free Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins will have your tastebuds jump. They are naturally gluten as well as refined sugar-free and taste like a sin.
Grain-Free Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
Can you think of a better sweet combination than orange and chocolate? It definitely has been my favourite flavour pairing since forever. Of course, I’m always thinking about how to combine the fresh and tangy citrus fruit with the rich melt-in-your-mouth chocolate.
This time, I’m forming this heavenly union into a chewy muffin, sure to satisfy all your sweet cravings. For these muffins, I opted for grain-free almond flour and kept it refined sugar-free. The result is a citrusy and rich-tasting dessert that bursts with flavour. Dessert happiness is coming your way!
A flavourful and balanced sweet treat
These muffins are not your typical carb and sugar-loaded dessert. My goal with this recipe and this blog as a whole is to create sweet treats that fit into a balanced lifestyle and still taste like a sin.
Using almond flour instead of regular wheat flour adds complex carbs into the mix. Thus, these muffins become naturally gluten-free too. Maple syrup as a sweetener instead of refined sugar is also a great swap to make when creating balanced desserts like in this case. You can lighten them up even more by leaving the maple syrup out altogether. The muffins will still have a touch of sweetness you’re going to love.
Last but not least, using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate is a better choice to reap all the health benefits of the cacao bean. The best part? The dark chocolate gives these muffins an even richer chocolate flavour.
Tips for making these grain free orange chocolate chip muffins
These muffins are super easy to make. No-fuss ingredients, easy assembling and 30 minutes are all it takes to whip up this balanced dessert. Here are some tips that will give you the best result:
Always use organic oranges when using the skin. Non-organic fruits are mostly sprayed with pesticides when bred, which stay on the skin.
Use an ice cream scoop to help transfer the batter evenly into the muffin tin holes.
Don’t worry if the muffins seem under-baked when taking them out of the oven. They get the right texture when cooled off.
If not eaten right away, store them in an airtight container for up to four days.
More muffin recipes recipes to try:
Grain Free Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 120 g almond flour (1 cup)
- 60 g greek yoghurt (1/4 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate chips (1/2 cup)
- 1 orange , zested
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and line 6 muffin tins with liners.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, greek yoghurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract and orange zest. Add almond flour mixed with baking powder and combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and divide the batter into the muffin tin holes.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the muffins are slightly browned on top but still soft on the inside. Test with a toothpick if you're unsure. Insert it into a muffin. If it comes out mostly clean, take them out of the oven.
- Let cool for about half an hour, sprinkle with orange zest and enjoy!
- Always opt for organic oranges when using the skin. Non-organic fruits are sprayed with pesticides when bred which stay on the skin.
- Use an ice cream scoop to help transfer the batter evenly into the muffin tin holes.
- Don’t worry if the muffins seem under-baked when taking them out of the oven. They get the right texture and become heavenly fudgy when cooled off.
- Store in an airtight container for up to four days.