Fluffy carrot cake meets velvety frosting with these Healthyish Carrot Cake Cinnamon Cupcakes. Refined sugar-free and made with spelt flour, these easy cupcakes are a delicious and balanced sweet treat you’ll want to make for every occasion.
Fluffy carrot cinnamon dream
Hello, healthyish sweet treat! These cupcakes will leave you stunned at how balanced they are. Using spelt flour and grated hazelnuts instead of regular flour and no refined sugar make these a lighter version of the traditional carrot cake you don’t want to miss.
The best part? These fluffy cupcakes with a velvety cinnamon cream cheese frosting come together quickly and you don’t even need a mixer. I made these a couple of weeks ago on the fly for some friends I had over and they were a delicious winner everyone loved.
Tips for making these Healthyish Carrot Cake Cinnamon Cupcakes
You may think that these decadent-looking cupcakes are complicated to put together but hear me out. This scrumptious sweet treat is done in just 30 minutes and you don’t even need a mixer. Here are some tips to get the best result:
- Prepare wet and dry batter separately: Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix the wet ingredients in a different one first. Then combine the two and you’ll have a dreamy batter that is fluffy and flavourful.
- Keep it moist: Grate the carrots but don’t squeeze out excess liquid if there is some. This keeps the cupcakes moist and they won’t end up too dry.
- Cool baby: Before decorating the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting, let them cool completely. I even put them in the fridge in Summer before topping them with frosting. This helps hold the frosting which otherwise would run down the cupcake.
In the mood for more healthyish sweet treats?
Try these balanced recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth in a balanced way:
- Grain Free Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Almond Dark Chocolate Nice Cream
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars
- Grain Free Orange Cake Bars
Healthyish Carrot Cake Cinnamon Cupcakes
- 100 g spelt flour (1 cup)
- 50 g ground hazelnuts (1/2 cup)
- 50 g shredded carrots (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
For the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 250 g cream cheese (7 oz)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a muffin tin with six cupcake liners.
- Grate carrots and set aside. Mix all the dry ingredients (spelt flour, ground hazelnuts, baking powder, cinnamon powder and pinch of salt) in a bowl. Use a whisk to combine.
- Combine all the wet ingredients (eggs, vegetable oil, maple syrup and carrots) in a separate bowl with a whisk. Now mix the dry and wet ingredients until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out mostly clean. Take out the oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Whisk together cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon powder until well combined and fluffy.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting when completely cooled. Sprinkle with some cinnamon powder and serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.