This sweet treat will melt your heart because the gluten-free combo has it all. A chewy almond flour cookie base, a fruity raspberry layer and a melt-in-your-mouth chocolate coating you can’t resist.
A match made in heaven
I think fruit and chocolate desserts can be a hit or miss sometimes. But chocolate and raspberries are a combo I always agree with when I think of glorious desserts. So I thought about a special treat to gift my mum on Mothers day with one of my favourite combos. And these Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars are the perfect treat to gift your loved ones. Because food gifts are the best gifts, right?
As a base layer for this gluten-free sweet treat I just used almond flour, coconut oil, a little agave nectar and a pinch of salt. This may sound basic but tastes like a cookie when used as a layer in this dessert. The tangy second layer is bursting with raspberry flavour with a little cornstarch giving it the right texture as a filling. Coated with dark chocolate, this heavenly combo will melt your heart.
Tips for making this recipe
While creating and testing this recipe, there are a few things that helped me get the best result:
- Press the dough for the cookie base into the pan with a spoon first and then distribute with your hands to get an even layer.
- If you don’t like raspberry kernels in the filling, you can sieve the raspberries after mixing and before putting them back into the pan.
- To get the chocolate coating as even as possible, wait until the cookie and raspberry layer is completely frozen. Also, cool the chocolate a little bit before coating.
Did you like this recipe?
Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. I also love to see your creations. Tag @encore_more and #encoremore when you share them on Instagram. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars
- 200 g almond flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 300 g raspberries (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
Dark Chocolate Coating
- 250 g dark chocolate (13oz) 70-80%
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- freeze-dried raspberry powder (optional)
For the Cookie Base:
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine almond four, coconut oil, agave nectar, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl until a dough forms. Press into baking pan and smooth out with a spoon or your hands.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Take out the oven and let cool.
For the Raspberry Layer:
- Add raspberries, agave nectar and water to a saucepan. Cook on low to medium heat for 5 minutes until raspberries soften. Remove from heat, blend with an immersion blender.
- Put back on heat, add cornstarch and cook on low for another 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat, set aside and let cool.
- Pour over cookie base, and set in the freezer for 3 ½ to 4 hours until firmed up completely.
Dark Chocolate Coating:
- Melt 2/3 of chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler on low heat until melted. Stir in remaining chocolate and stir in until dissolved. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Cut into 16 bars and cover each one in melted chocolate. Let dry on a cooling rack lined with parchment paper until almost dry. Sprinkle with some freeze-dried raspberry powder if you like and serve or keep in the fridge for up to one week.