Creamy and flavourful, this White Wine Celery Root Soup is the perfect vegan lunch or dinner to whip up not only in Winter. Try it as a light but hearty meal on warmer days too and reap all the benefits of this nutritious vegetable.
I root for celery root
Don’t you love the flavour of a hearty and comforting bowl of soup? I do, even in the warmer months. That’s why I’m coming in hot with this bowl of nourishing soup, sure to make your savoury heart jump.
Celery root is a vegetable that is often overlooked when it comes to being the center of attention in a meal. But with lots of flavour, this earthy vegetable deserves its own meal. That’s why I created a delicious and decadent soup using celeriac to make a nutrient-dense meal that can be served as a light lunch and dinner or exciting starter to fuel your tastebuds. So if you struggle with using up a whole celery root and want to avoid food waste, this is the perfect recipe for you.
What you need for this White Wine Celery Root Soup
This soup is easy to make and done in 35 minutes. The best part? Besides the celery root you can use up ingredients you probably already have sitting in your kitchen. Put them to good use by whipping up this delicious and hearty dish, perfect to meal-prep and eat during the week. Here is what you’ll need:
- Celery Root: The earthy vegetable is also known as celeriac and with its distinct flavour perfect in rustic soups and stews.
- Onions: In this soup they bring in a touch of sweetness and are in general a flavour carrier in a lot of savoury dishes.
- Garlic: This root vegetable is also a frequent addition to complement other ingredients.
- White Wine: A dry wine, like Grüner Veltliner or Sauvignon Blanc works best when cooking with vegetables.
- Vegetable Stock: Use store-bought, homemade or organic stock cubes as a cooking liquid.
- Caraway: A mainstay in a lot of Austrian dishes, it pairs wonderfully with all root vegetables.
- Nutmeg: This is also true for nutmeg, which pairs well with root vegetables like potatoes, parsnips, carrots and of course celery root.
Scroll down for the full recipe in a handy format and save it for later or print with just the click of a button.
In the mood for more soup?
Try these recipes to soup it up in the kitchen:
- Creamy Wild Garlic Potato Soup
- Spicy Coconut Carrot Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Chorizo Chips
White Wine Celery Root Soup
- 1 celery root (about 450g/1lb)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 ml dry white wine (3.4 oz)
- 800 ml vegetable stock (27 oz)
- 1/2 tsp ground caraway
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley oil (see recipe notes)
- Peel and dice celery root as well as onion and garlic.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Put in onions and sauté over medium heat for about a minute. Add celery root, garlic and spices and sauté for a couple minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour in the white wine and let cook shortly over high heat. Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil again and let cook onl ow heat for about 20 minutes, until the celery root is soft.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to purée the soup. If it is too thick, pour more vegetable stock in and blend again. Season to taste.
- Serve with parsley oil and dig in.
- How to make parsley oil: Take a handful of parsley and roughly chop. Blend with vegetable oil until combined.
- This is a great recipe to meal prep for busy days. If not eaten right away it keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze and reheat it for a quick lunch or dinner.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.