Creamy and comforting, this nutritious cauliflower soup is the ideal healthy lunch when the hunger strikes. Crispy chorizo chips give this mellow dish the right oomph you can’t get enough of.
Nourishing bowl with rich flavours
I’m a soup person for as long as I can remember. Especially in the colder months, I’m often craving a comforting bowl that warms my bones and satisfies my belly. And right there, this creamy cauliflower soup comes into play. Whipped up in about half an hour, this balanced meal will make you crave another bowl, even if you don’t normally jump when you hear cauliflower.
Often overlooked in the vegetable department because of its plain colour, cauliflower is a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition. The versatile vegetable is rich in fiber and aids in your daily dose of vitamins C and K. It is also a good source of protein and helps stay hydrated because of its high amount of water. So it’s truly a winner and oh so versatile when it comes to delicious dishes. Apart from soups, I love to add cauliflower to stews and curries, as well as roast it in the oven with some fun spices.
How to make this cauliflower soup
I’m always down for easy, no-fuss recipes that don’t require a ton of ingredients and a huge amount of time. Because let’s be honest, who has the time to stand in the kitchen for hours when navigating a busy week? So this cauliflower soup comes in handy when in need of a quick and comforting meal on a stressful day. Here are the easy steps:
Sautée the veggies
To intensify the flavour of the vegetables and spices I always roast them in the pot before adding any liquid. In this case, start with olive oil on medium heat and sauté the diced onions for about a minute. Add the cauliflower florets, diced garlic and spices, and sauté for another minute. Smell the goodness? That’s what we’re looking at here before adding any liquid.
Simmer the soup
Add the vegetable stock and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower florets are softened. Tip: Take out a cauliflower piece with a spoon and check with a knife or toothpick if the cauliflower is tender enough to blend.
Blend until smooth
Now comes the fun part. Remove soup from heat and blend with an immersion blender directly in the pot until you get the desired consistency. You can also use a stand-alone blender for this step. Chill the soup for a little bit before transferring it to the blender to avoid damage to the appliance.
Roast the chorizo
It doesn’t get much easier than these spicy and crispy chorizo chips as a topping for this delicious soup. Cut and peel about a finger-long part from the chorizo and cut it into thin slices. Roast in a pan with a little olive oil on medium heat until crispy. Sprinkle over the soup with the remaining oil from the pan and enjoy.
Scroll down for the easy recipe and let’s get cooking!
Did you like this recipe or any other recipe on the blog? Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Chorizo Chips
For the soup:
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 medium red onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600 ml vegetable broth (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 bay leave
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- piece of chorizo
- Remove the stem and leaves from the cauliflower, give it a good rinse under cold water, pat dry and cut into florets. Peel and dice the onion as well as the garlic cloves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat and put in the onion. Sauté for about a minute, stirring occasionally, and add the cauliflower florets, garlic and spices. Sauté for another minute and add the vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Meanwhile, peel and cut the chorizo into thin slices. Put a little olive oil in a pan on medium to high heat and roast the chorizo chips until crispy.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend with an immersion blender directly in the pot or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Top with the chorizo chips and infused olive oil from the pan.