Movie time! This easy and delicious popcorn recipe is full of flavour and done in 10 minutes. Bringing in some mouthwatering Indian spices and a hot attitude, you’ll never want to make microwave popcorn again.
Sharing popcorn is optional
Not able to do much in the evenings during this weird time, I am catching up on all my favourite shows and watch old movies. What makes it more fun, is having the right snacks to dig in while watching. And I love making my own delicious and healtyish snacks to satisfy all my bingeworthy cravings.
This time, I’m giving the classic movie popcorn a flavourful twist, by adding some seasoning to spice things up. Curry, turmeric, cayenne and salt combined with vegetable oil into a flavourful seasoning transforms the beloved snack into an aromatic and vegan treat you can’t get enough of.
Easily made on the stovetop and ready in just 10 minutes, you’ll never look at regular microwave popcorn again after trying this balanced snack. Moreover, this recipe only consists of ingredients you can always store at home. These pantry staples are cheap and long-lasting, which makes it an ideal snack you always have at home.
On another note, this easy recipe also makes a fun gift you can prepare ahead and give to your loved ones. Because food gifts are the best gifts, amiright?
Tips for making this flavourful popcorn
Making your own popcorn on the stovetop is easier than you think. All you need is a big pot, some oil, your favourite seasoning and some simple tips to create this delicious snack:
Use a big heavy pot with a fitting lid to get the optimal result.
When heating the oil, put two popcorn kernels in first. Wait until they pop, turn down the heat to medium and then put in all the other kernels.
Make sure the popcorn kernels don’t overlap, so they pop evenly.
Shake frequently to make the popping process go smoothly.
Open the lid occasionally to let out steam to keep the popcorn crispy.
Get your popcorn ready for the show and scroll down for the quick and uber delicious recipe.
Craving more savoury snacks? Try this spicy and balanced treat.
Did you like this recipe or any other recipe on the blog? Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Spicy Curry Turmeric Popcorn
For the popcorn:
- 100 g popcorn kernels (1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the seasoning:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder mild
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put vegetable oil, curry, turmeric, cayenne and salt into a bowl. Stir with a spoon until the seasoning is well combined.
- Heat vegetable oil in a big pot on medium to high-heat and put in two popcorn kernels. Cover with a lid. Wait until the kernels start to pop.
- Turn down heat onto medium and put in the other popcorn kernels. Shake pot with lid on frequently when kernels start to pop. Lift the lid occasionally to let out steam.
- Turn off the heat when the popping starts to slow down to 2-3 seconds.
- Remove pot from heat and toss popcorn into the bowl with the seasoning paste. Cover the bowl with a lid and shake until the popcorn is mixed with the seasoning. Serve right away or keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Make sure the popcorn kernels don’t overlap, so they pop evenly.
- Open the lid occasionally to let out steam to keep the popcorn crispy.
- If you don’t have a big bowl with a lid, you can mix the popcorn and the seasoning paste with a cooking spoon.