Summertime is salad time! Looking for a flavourful and easy dressing to drizzle over? I got you covered with this Simple Herb Vinaigrette, sure to elevate your next salad.
Everyday flavourful salad dressing
Ok, I’m going to admit something. I’m not a big salad eater. I almost always rather pick some cooked food, than opting for a salad. But with a heatwave like that in Austria right now, even I am choosing a fresh and cool dish over producing more heat on the oven.
And right there, my go-to Simple Herb Vinaigrette comes into play. Herbs are such a flavour boost to any dish and I love to play with them enhancing different recipes. In this vinaigrette, they play the main role by bringing in all the flavour. Three different herbs are combined into a tangy and fresh topping which is prepared in just five minutes and elevates any savoury summer salad.
What you’ll need for this Herb Vinaigrette
- Parsley: This herb is my go-to and I sprinkle it over practically every savoury dish I’m making. Parsley for me is the most versatile herb with its fresh and earthy taste, making it a great ingredient for this recipe.
- Chives: My second favourite herb is also included in this easy vinaigrette, bringing in some mild onion and garlic flavour without the need to use them as extra ingredients.
- Dill: Last but not least in this herb trinity I used dill, which brings in some grassy, sweet and anise-like flavour. Use sparingly in this vinaigrette to not overpower the parsley and chives flavour.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: For dishes that are not cooked or roasted I always use good quality extra-virgin olive oil because its flavour is very prominent in the vinaigrette and you can really taste the difference.
- Lemon: Instead of vinegar I also like to use freshly squeezed lemon juice in dressings to make them taste fresh and zesty.
- Salt and Pepper: Use freshly ground sea salt and pepper to round out this tangy dressing. Use according to taste.
How to use this Herb Vinaigrette
This salad dressing can be drizzled on just about every savoury salad you’re thinking of. I especially like to pair it whith green leafy salads or fresh cucumber and serve it as a side dish. You can also drizzle it over roasted or grilled mixed veggies or simply potatoes and serve as a zesty side dish.
For lunch or dinner I like to enhance my salads with some lean protein, like salmon as well as veggies and top it off with this herby vinaigrette. Find the quick recipe for my favourite balanced summer salad here:
Did you like this recipe?
Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. I also love to see your creations. Tag @encore_more and #encoremore when you share them on Instagram. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Simple Herb Vinaigrette
- 100 ml olive oil (1/2 cup) extra virgin
- 1 lemon freshly squeezed
- 20 g mixed herbs (1/2 cup) parsley, chives, dill
- sea salt and pepper freshly ground
- Finely chop herbs and combine in a jar with olive oil and lemon juice. Seal with a lid and shake well.
- Season with freshly ground sea salt as well as pepper to taste and shake again.
- Use right away and drizzle over your favourite salad or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.