Winner winner, healthy pasta dinner! This Whole Wheat Mushroom Bacon Pasta is the perfect dish to satisfy your noodle cravings. Sprinkled with fresh parsley and thyme, this balanced lunch or dinner is ready in 20 minutes.
Whole Wheat Mushroom Bacon Pasta
Grey days, cold temperatures and a lack of Vitamin D make me crave cosy but balanced dishes constantly. When I need a comforting dish that satisfies my pasta cravings, this is it. Whole wheat pasta paired with flavourful mushrooms and hearty bacon is my kind of hug as a dish. And on cold days like these typical for January, this healthy dish comes in handy to warm my bones. It is easy to prepare, just needs a few ingredients and is ready in 20 minutes.
Top with fresh parsley and thyme and eat this wholesome meal just on your couch, prepare it for date night or even make it for a crowd. Scroll down for some tips to make the most delicious Whole Wheat Mushroom Bacon Pasta and get the recipe.
Is whole wheat pasta healthy?
Whole wheat pasta is considered a complex carb option and contains some nutrients and fiber compared to regular pasta. Complex carbs digest more slowly. Hence, it keeps you fuller longer as opposed to simple carbs. You can swap the spaghetti with other pasta you like too. Use penne, fettuccine, fusilli or whatever pasta is your favourite. Make sure to use the whole wheat or spelt flour option to keep it nourishing.
Tips for making this recipe
- As this pasta comes together so quickly, I always prepare all the ingredients first to have them ready before starting to cook.
- I used whole wheat linguine in this recipe, but it is also delicious with other pasta like spaghetti, pappardelle or even shorter pasta like fusilli and penne.
- This pasta can also be made with other than brown button mushrooms. White button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, king trumpet mushrooms or chanterelles are all great ingredients for this hearty pasta dish.
- I mostly buy the bacon already diced to even save more time.
- I’m not a parmesan fan personally, I know shocker, but I think a sprinkle of parmesan would also be good before eating. Calling all the cheese lovers here!
In the mood for balanced pasta?
Try this Whole Wheat Roasted Pumpkin Pasta to satisfy your cravings.
Whole Wheat Roasted Pumpkin Pasta
Whole Wheat Mushroom Bacon Pasta
- 200 g whole wheat pasta
- 200 g cremini or other mushrooms
- 30 g bacon diced
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra-virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley and thyme chopped
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Peel and mince onion and garlic. Cook pasta in water generously seasoned with salt according to packaging.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a pan. Add onions and roast for about a minute, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and roast until browned and tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper and roast until tender.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and reserve a little of the pasta water 2-3 tablespoons). Transfer the cooked pasta and pasta water to the pan and stir in until well combined.
- Divide pasta onto two plates, sprinkle with chopped parsley and thyme, and serve.
Nutritional values are estimates only calculated with the recipe calorie and nutrition calculator provided by verywellfit.com. The author of this website is not a nutritionist nor a doctor. All nutritional data provided in the recipes and correspondent blog posts are for informational purposes only. Do not use the information as nutritional or medical advice.