Winner winner, chicken dinner! Poaching is easier than you think and this easy recipe proves it. Ready in 25 minutes, the flavourful dish with tangy notes is perfect to whip up during the week when you’re short on time.
What is poached chicken?
You probably heard about poached eggs. A gentle way to cook an egg which turns into a silky egg white holding a runny yolk. Poached eggs turned into a favourite when it comes to breakfast meals in recent years. And if you tried it, you know why it’s hyped.
Poached chicken is basically the same. Using this cooking method, the chicken is gently simmered instead of boiled, as in a chicken soup. This is not only easy and fast, you also get tender meat that is juicy and flavourful.
As an inspiration for this dish, I used a recipe from bon appétit. A cooking magazine I love to read and get inspired by when creating recipes. I made a few changes to the liquid the chicken is poached in and also sautéed the spices first to bring the flavours back to life. This adds depth to the poaching liquid, which is used as a sauce to serve with the chicken.
What you’ll need for the poaching liquid
Talking about flavour, the liquid comes into play. As a base, I use a mixture of coconut milk and water to add some coconut creaminess. But it doesn’t stop there. The liquid is then seasoned with scallions, garlic, fresh ginger, curry, turmeric and a little salt to give depth to the poaching liquid.
To really bring out the exciting flavours I sautéed the spices with a little vegetable oil first, before adding coconut milk and water. And just like that, it transforms into a delicious and rich sauce to serve with the chicken breast.
Topped with some marinated scallions and fresh cilantro, the dish gets an extra kick of tanginess, which pairs perfectly with the juicy main star. Scroll down for the easy and quick recipe.
Did you like this recipe?
Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. I also love to see your creations. Tag @encore_more and #encoremore when you share them on Instagram. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Coconut Curry Poached Chicken
For the poached chicken
- 2 scallions
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 2 garlic cloves
- thumb-piece piece of ginger
- 1 tsp vegetable oil light-tasting
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml coconut milk (1 cup)
For the marinated scallions
- 1 scallion
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 orange
- black pepper freshly ground
- Roughly chop scallions and peel garlic, as well as ginger. Heat vegetable oil in a pot and sauté with the spices on medium heat for about a minute.
- Add coconut milk and 350ml (1 1/2 cups) water, put in the chicken breasts and let simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop remaining scallion and put in a bowl. Squeeze orange half and add juice along with rice vinegar and pepper. Let marinate until chicken is poached.
- Take out chicken breasts, let cool a little and slice. Serve with some of the poaching liquid and jasmine rice. Top with marinated scallions and cilantro.