Apple pie taste, balanced base! This comforting oatmeal has the best of both worlds. A flavourful shell packet with nutrient-dense ingredients to nourish your body.
Apple Pie meets oatmeal
I’m a lover of comforting food. Whenever I can, I will choose a warm meal over a cold one. Especially in Winter, I like to start my day with something that not only fills me up until lunchtime but also warms me up from the inside out.
Lately, I’m totally obsessed with this oatmeal creation I’m whipping up in the kitchen every other morning. My version of an apple pie turned into a healthy breakfast treat. It contains the flavours from a rich apple pie but without a heavy load of simple carbs and sugar. This healthy breakfast option is filled with a bunch of nutritious ingredients to create a balanced and delicious meal. The best part? You can also whip this up the evening before and reheat it the next day or eat cold when you have a stressful morning and no time to prepare something.
Flexin’ the flaxseeds
Hello, superfood! While this oatmeal tastes like a delicious piece of apple pie, it is packed with a bunch of nourishing ingredients like oats, hazelnuts, and cinnamon. But what makes this a real MVP is the hidden superfood it contains.
Flaxseeds are loaded with nutrients like fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and a balanced dose of protein. This means, adding them to your meals can boost your digestive system, promotes a healthy heart, and keeps you full longer. Sounds great, right? So sprinkle that superfood over your oatmeal, granola, and smoothies to reap all those benefits. Tip: Use ground flaxseeds instead of the whole ones. This makes digesting them easier and makes absorbing the nutrients a breeze.
Did you like this recipe?
Let me know by rating it and leave a comment below. I also love to see your creations. Tag @encore_more and #encoremore when you share them on Instagram. And be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook Pinterest, and Bloglovin to get more delicious dishes for a balanced lifestyle.
Superfood Apple Pie Oatmeal
For the oatmeal:
- 100 g rolled oats (1cup)
- 500 ml milk of choice or water (2 cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp ground hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
For the apple topping:
- 1 apple (sweeter variety- I used Pink Lady)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp water
- For the apple topping: Chore and chop the apple and heat the honey in a saucepan over medium-heat. Put in the apple pieces, add the cinnamon and warm water. Sautée covered with a lid on low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apple is slightly softened.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk or water in another saucepan to a boil. Add the oats, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract and stir. Lower the heat immediately and cook on the lowest heat point for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add the ground hazelnuts and flaxseeds. Put into a bowl, jar or glass, sprinkle with toppings of choice and enjoy.