Pump up the jam! This Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam will give your morning meal a fruity and tangy upgrade. Full of nutrients and without refined sugar, it is the perfect addition to any balanced breakfast. Serve with nut butter on bread, over oatmeal and much more for a berrylicious boost.
Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam
Berry season is in full swing and as raspberries are one of my favourite fruits, I’m trying to get as much of them as I can into my daily meals. The summer seasonal produce is filled with a bunch of nutrients and the perfect antioxidant treat for your body and skin.
When it comes to preserving this delicate fruit my take on a Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam is the perfect way to reap all the benefits of this delicious berry. Packed with fresh fruit, tangy orange, protein-rich chia seeds and a hint of agave nectar, it is the ideal upgrade to any balanced breakfast.
But what are chia seeds exactly and why the heck should you use them to make jam? Read on to find out!
What are chia seeds?
The little black seeds are a superfood to watch out for when it comes to a balanced meal plan. Chia seeds are the eatable seeds from the salvia hispanica plant, located in central and south Mexico. It is related to the mint plant and a powerhouse when it comes to nutrients.
Rich in fiber, protein and omega-3-fatty acids, superfood is the right word for this little black seeds. Moreover, they have the ability to absorb 10-12 times their water weight, which makes them an ideal healthy ingredient to thicken up liquids. Used in this Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam, they create the ideal consistency without adding refined sugar. Winner!
4 nourishing ingredients and a few simple steps
You don’t need much to whip up this fruity and tangy treat. Here is what you’ll need:
Read on to get the full recipe broken down into a few simple steps.
What to eat with this high-protein jam
This is a jam I’m going for when it comes to craving something fruity and sweet. There are so many delicious things you can serve this Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam with. Here are my favourites:
chia seed pudding
whole wheat bread
with nut butters like peanut, almond or hazelnut butter
Scroll down for the quick recipe and save for later or print right away with the click of a button.
Craving more breakfast treats?
Try these sweet and balanced morning options to change up your meal plan:
Raspberry Orange Chia Seed Jam
- 250 g raspberries (2 cups)
- 1 orange (juice and zest)
- 2 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Wash raspberries under cold water and drain well. Grate the zest of the orange and juice. Add raspberries, freshly squeezed orange juice and grated orange zest to the saucepan and stir.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes, until the berries start to thicken into a sauce. Gently smash with a spoon or fork and stir occasionally to help combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds as well as agave nectar. Combine well, pour in a sealable jar and let cool. The jam will thicken up as the chia seeds soak in some moisture.
- Spread on whole wheat bread or toast, over oatmeal or with yogurt and chia seed pudding. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.