I don’t know what it is this time around, but I really rediscovered ice cream for me this summer. What do I mean by that? In the last 10 years or so I may have eaten ice cream one or two times a year. Shocking, I know. But I would always reach for other sweet treats that I was craving more. But this summer changed everything. I can’t tell you how much ice cream I have eaten already this season. Sometimes it was a couple of cones a week.
Realising that it can’t continue like that, I was on the search for a just as satisfying summer dessert without the guilt. So I experimented in the kitchen and created a healthy ice cream alternative that is full of flavour even without some dairy and sugar. Convinced? Scroll down for the easy recipe!
Almond Chocolate Nice Cream
This vegan-friendly summer treat is the ultimate guilty pleasure but without the guilt-trip.
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tsp orange zest (from organic oranges)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Slice up the bananas and freeze them overnight, or until frozen solid.
2. Put the frozen bananas in a blender. Add the almond butter, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Blend the ingredients until they form a thick puree. Scrape the mixture down with a spatula from time to time until the bananas are completely pureed.
3. Scoop the mixture into a freezable container and mix in the chopped dark chocolate. Put in the freezer for about 2 hours or until the desired consistency is reached.
4. Put the nice cream into bowls, garnish with some orange zest and enjoy your healthy summer treat.
Experiment with other ingredients like different nut butters, fruits and spices like cinnamon or mint to keep you guilt-free dessert exciting all summer long!